Written by: Camila Fernandez/PR Representative
Non-vegans claim that being a vegan on a budget is a mission impossible. Much of this stereotype is due to people believing that particular vegan food items are far too expensive. However, we took the liberty to shop for our plant-based diet at Publix, which surprisingly has plenty of discounts for a vegan on a budget.
Being a college student is already expensive as it is, with tuition and fees, but the club has created a one-week vegan challenge to welcome newcomers to the team.
Please check out our one-week vegan challenge created by vice president, Sarah Bird. Click on One Week Challenge for a PDF. Don’t forget to send us your feedback on our Facebook page, Plant-Based Society at FIU.
Here are a couple of tips to avoid an expensive shopping spree by onegreenplanet.org:
- Avoid pre-chopped veggie options: Go for regular veggies, which will bulk up your diet and help keep you full. They are mostly more inexpensive.
- Avoid trendy diets: Nothing is fancy about veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds and fruits. Just stay focused on your plant-based diet.
- Go for Everyday Superfoods instead: These include affordable, plant-based foods, like teff, chickpeas, and butternut squash, so you don’t get bored of your everyday lettuce and broccoli.
- Love bulk: Instead of buying beans and legumes in a box or bag, look for them in the bulk section. Buy only what you need, which will save you money and keep your food items from going to waste.
- Go for generic condiments: Like, peanut butter, tahini, mustard and spices. If you can’t afford Whole Foods, shop at Wal-Mart where organic condiments and some produce are also offered.
- Be beverage smart: Avoid non-nutritional drinks and instead, buy more cleansing water and non-dairy milk. You can also add fruits, like lemons and lime to flavor your water.
- Learn to love beans, legumes, seeds and grains: These foods will keep you full and are not hard to prepare.
- Buy only what you need, but buy enough
- Visit farmers markets and farms whenever possible
Images by: Camila Fernandez